Tuesday, January 24, 2023

U.S Supreme Court

U.S. Supreme Court 

 I learned that the Supreme Court remains the most powerful judicial body in the U.S. The Supreme Court also are "deliberate" and reach their decisions in public. A couple of other things I learned from the video was that the court's opinion is typically finished in about four weeks and that the "justice may re-draft a dozen or more times in effort to persuade the others to join the opinion." I also was unaware that the court has a tradition to announce their decisions and opinions for all of the current cases before the end of the term, which occurs in late June. 

One of the most important takeaways is that you have to give it around three-to-five years to really feel "less strange" about being in the Supreme Court. For many it sounds like it takes a good amount of time before you can settle in and feel more comfortable. One Supreme Court member mentioned that being appointed to the Supreme Court was the equivalent of "being struck by lightning." Also, another important takeaway is that the court must always defend the constitution or the U.S. would no longer be the freest nation in the world to exist. 

The most surprising thing I learned from the video is that the people had a lot of trust in the Supreme Court. For example, the video said whenever the Supreme Court speaks the people obeyed. To have the people behind your decisions as a court is a huge thing. I was honestly surprised to hear that the people trusted the court and were for the most part behind their decisions. 

The video certainly changed the way I thought of the Supreme Court because before I watched the video, I wasn't aware how supportive the people were of the court. As the video said "most people accepted the fact that the court tries to make it straight." The video also mentioned how the power of the court is the power of trust earned, which is the trust of the American people. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship with Technology

 My Relationship with Technology Everyone has had different experiences and different purposes when using technology. Personally for me, tec...